Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Old House (The Auld Hoose)




  The Old House mp3 - Stagi tenor EC - My own interpretation. Not exactly as given online at thesession.org, though maybe that version is better/more correct. What I had to start with is found in "English Concertina Music," an old collection of arrangements by Faulkner Brandon (or... Brandon Faulkner, not sure) , and I don't play it exactly as printed there but... it's what it is. 

I like to play this in a set with the old hymn, Sweet By And By (mp3 file), in the same key. 

You'll find the Brandon Faulkner PDF at The Rowlhouse

And here is "The Auld Hoose" at thesession.org

Who wrote the song? Lady Nairne (Carolina Oliphant) - 1766-1845

Here are the words at allpoetry.com

She was both a composer and a lyricist, though she sometimes set her words to traditional Scottish tunes. (Right now I don't know for sure about this tune.)